Welcome to week 2 of our Fittest Family competition. This week we have a load of new exercises for you to try over the week along with a brand new challenge as well as some new celebrities to try and beat. Keep those photos coming in and best of luck. Don’t forget everyone can join in the fun at any part.
Congratulations to everyone who took part in our weekly exercise initiative this week. It was great to see so many pupils walking, cycling, running, horse riding and getting involved in our weekly tasks and challenges, all with a smile on their faces. The activities are all about keeping us connected and smiling through these weeks. This week saw our families take on our team leaders and elite sport stars in a plank contest. The tremendous effort involved was amazing to see by all who took part in it. Special mention to our plank champions of Mia Whelan-Crosbie of second class who finished up her plank at an amazing time of 6 minutes and 11 seconds. The boys champion was to be found in 1st class student in the form of Donagh McGee who held strong to reach a time of 5 minutes and 2 seconds in his own plank. Our fittest family this week was The Newport Family who on average racked up their family plank time to 3 minutes and 58 seconds. Thank you for all who took part and look out for tomorrow’s new weekly challenge on the blog too and throughout the week as some new sport stars take part in our challenges. Prizes will be announced at the end of our competitions.
This week has seen some of Wexford’s finest celebrities getting involved in the community spirit of Piercestown National School by taking part in this weeks challenge The Plank. We were honored to our own past teacher and camogie player Miss S O’Connor taking part as well as Wexford Hurling Stars Joe Coleman, Rory O’Connor and Kevin Foley taking to the yoga mats to see could they master The Plank and outlast our Fittest Families and leaders this week. They certainty have set the standards this week and have definitely posed a challenge to our families. Has your family got what it takes to take on and beat the elite?
Congratulations to all for a super start to our Piercestown Fittest Family. It has been great to see so many people so far emailing in photos of themselves being active and enjoying the exercises and the challenge. I will put up a slideshow at the end of the week highlighting our amazing fit families. Each week all that is required is a photo of you and your family doing the exercises. If you wish to go head to head against our leaders and compete in the optional weekly challenges to be crowned Piercestown’s Fittest Family, I also need photographic proof of you doing the activity attached with the time your family set. For fairness it will be an average time of all family members taking part due to family sizes being both big and small. Lastly, each week if you fill in your exercise tracking form and when we return to school you will be entered into a draw for taking part too. Keep your eyes out for some celebrity times still to come to compete against too. All emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to Piercestown NS first ever Piercestown Fittest Family!! Over the next month we are calling on all families in the school to get active each week and take part in a safe and healthy way through a set of various activities and challenges from your homes. Everyone can take part and it can be changed or tweaked to fit you and your family. It is all about taking part, inclusion and encouraging everybody to stay active and in touch in these challenging times.
- Each week you will be given a set of exercises to be completed and you can show completion of these exercises through the weekly checklist forms or through photos. (Videos over 15 seconds are too large to send over email)
- The goal each week is to complete 2021 exercise reps across your family. (For example, one might do the lunges, while another family member might do the jumping jacks for the week or for the fit families out there everybody can try do it together)
- Each family when entered will be randomly assigned to one of our amazing team leaders- Team Hearne, Team Lyttleton, Team Farrell and Team Sinnott.
- Each week you will also be given an opportunity to try and prove you are the Fittest Family through a set optional weekly challenge against your chosen Team Leader for points.
- The family with the best performance/time will receive 5 points, the next best performing family will receive 4 and finally the third best performing family will receive 3. All other competing families will receive 1 point for just taking part.
- At the end of the three weeks there will be a competition week where you will battle it out against our Team Leaders in daily challenges for more points.
- At the end of our Fit Families, there will be a draw between all the families who have taken part as well as an overall Piercestown Fittest Family prize based on the performances in the optional and Team Leader challenges and points gained.
- All photos and checklists to be sent to email@example.com to enter.
- Keep an eye on the blog for Team Leader videos and other information relating to the activity.
- Remember to stay active and stay safe.
Leading up to the Christmas break the pupils of Piercestown NS took part in the “12 Days of Fitmas.” Every morning before school began, the pupils accepted a new fitness exercise that they tackled with great spirit and energy each day. These active lines were done as a whole school event before finally on the last day we had a festive dance party to celebrate completing the challenge. Thank you to all the pupils who put in such effort to take part in all the activities.
We did it!!!!!
Well done to all our students, staff members and families for reaching our goal distance to Lapland of 2500km over the last number of days around our track and out and about this weekend!
We began our journey with our Santa Dash on Friday to great excitement and enthusiasm!! Boys and girls from all classes took to our Christmas themed track and with the help of some festive music set off to complete an enormous challenge. With the encouragement from other classes, staff members and our very own active schools head elf Mrs. Lyttleton, the children ran, walked, hopped, skipped and even some showed some amazing dance moves around the track.
Over the weekend, we continued with this impressive start as children continued to remain active. The children of Piercestown NS set of with walks on beaches, hikes up mountains, cycles across parishes and some even went for a swim in the sea. The enthusiasm for exercise was again noted during lunch breaks on these days as children continued to run and move with emphasis on reaching our milestone.
Well done everybody
A variety of famous faces stayed at home to attend the premiere of Piercestown National School’s virtual Carol Service across Wexford, Ireland and the world last Thursday night.
Check out some photos below!
Grab your santa hats, because last Thursday, we came together and united in holiday song and spirit and shared in the joy of Christmas.
So gather the family around the tree and put a log on the fire. Get ready to dance along to these special performances once again!
‘Tis the season for the Piercestown Virtual Carol Service.
Video can also be accessed via youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smGkF0tLoyI&t=17s
If you’ve passed by our school recently you may have noticed the addition of some colourful Christmas lights near the main entrance and some more on the porch at the entrance to right of the building. You may also have seen Santa Claus and The Snowman Family decorating our school. This wonderful display is thanks to Frank Staples and Wexford County Council. Many thanks also to Jenny Bates, who put us in touch with him. The children have been having great fun posing for photos!